We had Mexican Paleo last month, now we’ll take your taste buds to a different experience. This fragrant and fresh approach to Asian cooking will give your mouth fireworks of flavours.
Vietnamese Fried Spring Rolls / Chả giò
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 package rice vermicelli (small or medium thickness), soaked in cold water for 15 minutes, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated carrots
- 1⁄2 cup bean sprouts
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- white pepper
- 15 – 20 spring roll wrappers
- 15 – 20 leaves romaine lettuce
- oil (for frying)
1. Combine well all ingredients for the spring roll filling (except the wrappers, lettuce leaves, and oil).
2. Scoop around 2 tablespoons of the mixture onto the wrapper
3. Fold sides in, then begin rolling spring roll away from you. It doesn’t have to be perfect if it’s your first time. Seal roll by moistening edge with water or egg wash. This recipe can yield 15 – 20 spring rolls depending on how much filling you use.
4. Heat oil over medium-high heat and get ready to fry.
5. Fry rolls until golden brown. This usually takes 4 – 6 minutes per roll.
6. Drain on paper towels. Serve with romaine lettuce leaves on the side and choice of sauce. I like the Vietnamese Dipping Fish Sauce over peanut sauce.
Vietnamese Dipping Fish Sauce Recipe / Nước Chấm
- 6 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 lime / lemon, squeezed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 chili pepper, chopped
1. Just combine everything in a bowl. Add the fish sauce last until you like how it tastes.
Vietnamese Rice Noodles With Grilled Meat / Bún thịt nướng
- 1 pound pork or chicken, sliced
- 1 package rice vermicelli (small or medium thickness), soaked in cold water for 15 minutes and drained
- 3 fried spring rolls (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce, preferably thick in consistency
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Cucumbers, sliced
- Romaine lettuce, chopped
- Bean sprouts
- Carrots, sliced
- Peanuts, crushed
- Vietnamese Dipping Fish Sauce Recipe / Nước Chấm
1. Marinate the meat overnight, minimum of 1 hour preferably overnight for yummier results.
2. Grill the meat until you get those nice grill marks.
3. Assemble your bowl with veggies, noodles, and garnish, with the sauce on the side.
Vietnamese Fresh Shrimp & Pork Salad / Gỏi Tôm Thịt
- 1/2 lb medium shrimp headless shell on, deveined, and poached
- 1/2 pound pork, marinated and grilled
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- Bamboo shoots, shredded
- Carrots, shredded
- Cabbage, chopped
- Cucumber, sliced
- Daikon radish, thinly sliced
- Peanuts, crushed
- Vietnamese Dipping Fish Sauce / Nước Chấm
1. Combine all the vegetables and salt in a mixing bowl. Cover and chill it for 30 – 45 minutes.
2. Rinse off the salt from the vegetables using cold water and colander.
3. Assemble the vegetables, shrimp, pork, and garnish, with Vietnamese Dipping Fish Sauce on the side.
We tried these Vietnamese recipes, and oh man, were they refreshing! We partnered these with a pitcher of iced milk tea — I think I have found a new love.
Sweet Potato Health Benefits
Most people have heard the saying “eat your vegetables” but many still continue to avoid them like the plague. A big ...
Post-Workout Foods You Should Be Eating
A common misconception dawdling around fitness enthusiasts and avid bodybuilders and weightlifters is that eating a...
Pre-Workout Foods You Should Be Eating
Most people have busy schedules these days. This means that when one works out, he or she needs to get as much out ...