Meet Claude Castro, an experienced and professional personal trainer with a solid background in boxing and traditional martial arts.
1. Who are you and what do you do?
I’m a full time Personal trainer and have been operating as Claudefit personal training for 8 years. I run my own business from Home and offer several training options. I’m fortunate enough to have practical experience along with the formal qualifications in the following disciplines. Boxing Australia coach, Australian Weightlifting Federation Level 2 coach, RKC2 (Kettlebell Instructor, Strength and conditioning (coach level2) and have over ten years’ experience in traditional martial arts. I’m 47 year of age.
2. How & why did you get into the fitness industry?
I had previously worked in the finance industry and was looking at an opportunity to get free from it and pursue other more interesting and rewarding careers. Given my established enjoyment for fitness I simply decided this was for me. I then wrote up a business plan and found out what it took to get qualified and sourced out the educators and started on my cert IV. This was while I was still in my previous role.
3. Take us through a typical day for you?
First of all I look after my early clients that come in until mid-morning and then with the time in between my late afternoon /evening clients I mostly read, research, run errands, write or do my own workout. Soon enough my clients start coming in and I’m busy till 9pm. I try to avoid sitting around and doing nothing. No television. It makes for a more productive day.
4. What were some of the biggest mistakes you made when starting out your business? And what should their focus be?
· My biggest mistake was building up my client base in my first gym to averaging about 35 sessions plus ( including 3 classes) and not been able to get my own workout in and see my kids. It’s great to be busy/popular but it comes at a price. I’m now more aware of my time management and keep to my plan. Beware of instructor burnout as you need to get away from the gym atmosphere to rest the mind and body.
· Another was simply over servicing clients. In other words. Too much, too soon. It gets better with more experience and the clients are more likely to also respond better.
5. What are some of the reasons your clients fail to hit their fitness goals?
Generally people fail (with regards to fitness goals) because they don’t have a plan or simply don’t stick to it and give up. The clients and members of gyms who reach their goals are the ones who follow through and eventually make it. I have several strategies when it comes to working with my own clients in reaching their goals.
6. What are some of your favourite exercises to do with a client?
I like to get my client to the point where they can do proper focus pad rounds during a Boxing session/class. Or be able to run a 5klm or 10klm with me.
7. Any tips / suggestions for people looking to get into the fitness industry?
Yes, be prepared to work hard if you are serious about your business. The ones that last continually work on business development. A lot who don’t take this advice simply don’t last.
8. What do you think makes a personal trainer succeed in the long term?
It’s about getting organised and understanding the business. A lot of new trainers fail to set themselves up and get distracted by the whole industry being high energy, entertaining and don’t take the time to develop professionally. The cert 4 is only the beginning.
9. Any useful resources, tools, or books you can recommend?
As I tell most of the trainers that I have mentored. Find the discipline that you want to be good at and go out and do research and buy the books/media that will get your knowledge up. Then practice, a lot.
10. Where can people get in touch with you?
Are Eggs Good for Health Or Not?
Eggs are one of the more common items that can be found in a persons refrigerator, yet many people have a lack of k...
Weight Loss Plan for Men
When it comes to losing weight, as long as you eat right and exercise, you are in a good boat. However, there are dif...
Weight Loss Plan for for Women
Being of the right weight and size is an ideal that is pushed on women all over. There is so much pressure to be sk...