Our Personal Trainer James Brodie Knows The Meaning Of Fun
TODAY’S PERSONAL TRAINER OF THE DAY IS THE OWNER OF J-TRAIN ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE (HTTP://WWW.JTRAINATHLETICPERFORMANCE.COM.AU/) ON SYDNEY’S NORTHERN BEACHES, JAMES BRODIE. HE’S COOL, HE’S FUNNY, HE’LL PUSH YOU TO YOUR LIMITS! FIND MORE ABOUT HIM, READ HIS FULL INTERVIEW.
1. TELL US YOUR STORY, WHO ARE YOU AND HOW DID YOU START IN THE HEALTH AND FITNESS INDUSTRY?
My name is James Brodie and I own J-Train Athletic Performance on Sydney’s Northern Beaches. I studied sport and exercise management at uni and decided to get involved in the health industry with the goal of working with Athletes. I’d been involved in contact sports my whole life but suffered numerous concussions so decided to focus my energy on helping people perform in those sports without getting knocked out again.
2. WHAT WERE SOME OF THE BIGGEST MISTAKES YOU MADE WHEN STARTING OUT IN THIS INDUSTRY?
Working with people for the sake of working. If people don’t want to be in the gym or want to train then there is no point in holding their hand. Once they make the decision to want to do it, that’s when the fun begins.
3. WHAT IS THE MOST ABSURD EXCUSE YOU HEARD FROM A CLIENT AND HOW DID YOU RESPOND TO IT?
I am lucky I don’t have any excuse-makers in my gym. Just the usual I slept in and thought it was a different day. I just ask them if they slept in for work, when they respond no, I say well why isn’t this a priority like work is?
4. WHAT MAKES YOUR GYM/FITNESS CENTER DIFFERENT FROM OTHERS?
You can drop weights, talk a lot of shit, throw chalk around and lift heavy things. it’s an environment people want to be in if they want to work hard and succeed. It’s not a gym for time wasters and hand-holders.
5. WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST GUILTY PLEASURE WHEN IT COMES TO FOOD?
6. DESCRIBE YOURSELF IN ONE WORD.
7. WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR BEST EXERCISE/WORKOUT TIPS?
Doesn’t matter what your doing, do it with ruthless intensity and focus and that will be the quickest way to results.
8. WHAT ARE YOUR GOALS OR PLANS THIS YEAR?
Win a premiership with the club I work with, get my surfers to the next level and generally have fun!